Monday, November 3, 2008

Potty Training

While I was in Iraq, my co-workers asked me what I would be doing at home while burning up accumulated leave. I said I wanted to Potty Train Jack. After all, I would be home for a month, how hard could it be?

My plan didn't account whether or not Jack was actually ready to be potty trained. For obvious reasons, my attractive wife did not dive into this while I was away. Shortly after getting home, I showed him #1. He was fascinated and insisted on trying then and there but his bladder was empty. I felt a golden opportunity had been missed (no pun intended).

Several times later over the course of the week, I asked him, "Do you need to go potty?" the term, at this stage, being synonymous with #1. Every time, Jack would emphatically answer, "No, don't want to go potty!" Then, while at the park, he announced, "I have to go potty but in my diapers." At least he had cause and effect down.

Then my parents sent me this link which explains what signs to look for in a child when they are getting ready, or at least when they are more amenable, for potty training. Jack had a few traits but not all. For example, he's more interested in taking things out of the toy box than putting them in.

Today though he surprised me. While on the phone with my attractive wife, he grabbed my pant leg and said he had to go potty. I followed him to the kitchen where he grabbed a toy piano in the corner by the sliding glass door. "What are you doing with the piano?" I asked but saw that it was on top of a trainer toilette. He started to sit on it but I asked him if he wanted to take off his pants. He said okay and took them off along with the diaper. He sat down but nothing happened. He exclaimed, "All done!"

I noticed that his diaper was wet and can only assume that he started #1 but then announced that he needed to go. No matter, small progress made.

No comments: