Wednesday, November 5, 2008

E Pluribus Unum

Many years from now, when people ask me, "Where were you when the first African-American president was elected?" I will say, why I was putting Jack to sleep. We had some milkies, read, "Zoo Parade," "Fire Truck," and "Numeros." When we were done, he turned off the light and said, "It's dark because it's nighttime," and I placed him in the crib.

My attractive wife was already in bed and had her Blackberry out and said, "Wow, Obama was elected." When I started Jack's good night routine, I knew Obama was ahead but I didn't think he would be called the winner until much later. Whatever side of the political fence you sit on, this was an historic night.

I tuned into CNN and caught Obama's acceptance speech and was truly impressed. After spending so much time in Iraq worrying about the Iraqi Provincial Election Law and waiting for it to be passed by the Council of Representatives, it was deeply gratifying to see our own election happen and with such a profound outcome.

As John McCain so graciously pointed out in his concession speech, we all are Americans and need to move forward together. It's more than just who was elected. As Joe Waldron wrote in a New York Times OPED, "Presidents come and go. Our nation, and our constitutional form of government, ones hopes, will endure."

E Pluribus Unum -- "From Many, One."

1 comment: