Friday, November 7, 2008

Doctor's Visit

Three days ago, Jack awoke with a runny right nostril and a teary right eye. "My nose is runny," he said as I chased him trying to wipe it. I tried to get him to blow his nose but he ended up blowing out of his mouth. Poor guy. Recent literature, and the advice of our pediatrician, recommend no cold medicine be administered to children under the age of five so Jack will have to muddle through what I think is a minor cold.

It was time for a flu shot anyway so I made the appointment and went to our pediatrician, Dr. Morley. He was there at the hospital minutes after Jack's birth in late 2005 and has been his doctor ever since. I told Jack we were going to Dr. Morley who was going to give him medicine. He seemed okay with this.

When we got there, the nurse took his temperature under his armpit. Jack first thought this odd and then funny. Then we were left alone a while waiting for the doctor. I told Jack to greet Dr. Morley. When Dr. Morley arrived, Jack greeted him and he was surprised. His face seemed to say, "You can talk now?"

Dr. Morley examined Jack's ears, nose and throat and listened to his heart and lungs and said everything looked and sounded fine so it was likely just a cold. And he would be getting a flu mist not a shot.

During the examination, Dr. Morley saw Jack's pacifier on the table. "Oh, he's still using that?!" he exclaimed. "Throw it away. Blame it on me. You'll need to do that now or you're going to pay for later in braces." I felt a little embarrassed.

He left and the nurse returned with the flu mist. As I held Jack on my lap, she inserted a small tube into each of Jack's nostrils and sprayed a mist in. He was fine with it and even laughed as the second nostril was sprayed. I was remarkably impressed how he took it all in.

As we walked to the car, I said, "You did a great job!" Jack repeated it back to me several times later that day, "Dr. Morley gave me some medicine. I did a great job!"

No comments: