Sunday, November 9, 2008

As If You've Never Been Away

While deployed to Iraq, I listened to a particular track from Ulrich Schnauss' album, Far Away Trains Passing By, called, "As If You've Never Been Away." (iTunes link). Schnauss' music falls into that hard-to-describe-ambient-techno-electronic-chill genre. At times very dense and German, the track in question is snappy, upbeat and, to me, very positive.

Listening to it in Iraq, I imagined re-integrating with Jack at home and hoped it would go smoothly. Today, at the park we were quite the team. I helped him conquer a new way of climbing on a particular play structure. At the top of the structure, he said, "I'm a big boy now," and, to my surprise, "I don't need Paci anymore" We'll see.

Still, I am happy at the re-intergration. Surprised, even, by how smoothly it's gone. As if I've never been away.

No comments: