Friday, January 16, 2009

Rhapsody in Pink

Jack is into the color pink. I'm not sure how this happened or if it otherwise reflects badly on my fatherly duties but he's mad about pink. He saw a commercial before Christmas for My Pretty Ponies and said, "I want that!" Now keep in mind he says, "I want that!" for just about any toy commercial he sees on Boomerang or Cartoon Network. At first I just ignored it but my attractive wife picked up on it.

Then, during our drive down to Los Angeles just before Christmas we stopped at a McDonald's Restaurant in central California. We decided to get Jack a Happy Meal and when I took him to the toy display, he said he wanted the Pink Pony and not the Bionicles. The restaurant was a zoo and over the din of people ordering we received a Happy Meal with a boy's toy (Bionicle) and not the Pretty Pony. Jack was at first upset but soon forgot about it. So did I. Not my attractive wife.

Fast forward to last week. While shopping at Target (i.e., The Mothership) my wife picked up a Pretty Pink Pony and brought it home. She said she picked it up because Jack kept asking for it during our trip to LA. I think she got it to drive me crazy.

Who's your Daddy, Pink Pony? That's right, General Grievous.

Pink Pony's arrival also coincided with a weekend visit to Jack's older cousins, who live about ten miles south of us. His only female cousin, Erin (6) had a Barbie Glamour Jet Plane that she did not play with. The jet is big and pink and Jack fell in love with it. The rear of the plane has all these small compartments which open and close and Jack loved manipulating them. To him, it's a jet plane that he can open up and mess with and it also happens to be pink. To me, it's a fraking Barbie Glamour Jet Plane that's PINK. As we were getting ready to leave, my sister-in-law begged me to take it home because it cost them $60 and Erin never really wanted to play with it. My attractive wife thought this was very funny but also said Jack should have it. Jack hugged it all the way home which was hard since it's so big.

Finally, Jack has discovered The Powerpuff Girls and it's his new favorite show. It still may be too early to call, but I think we're finally over The Pink Panther. My attractive wife and I have seen nearly every episode twice and frankly, we never want to hear the Pink Panther theme ever again. (Are you paying attention to the color theme here?).

Two nights ago, we were watching an episode where the girls battle one of their Kindergarten classmate's mischievous imaginary friend. At one point, Blossom (who wears a pink outfit!) charges the invisible villian and ends up being thrown into the closet. She emerges looking just like Eric Cartman from South Park. My attractive wife and I bust into laughter much to Jack's delight.

"He knocked me down. I'm seriously."

No comments: