Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I, I, I, I, I, I want that!

Recently, Jack has started to repeating the first word of every sentence he starts. "I want that!" - which is often said during toy commercials - comes out as, "I, I, I, I, I, I want that!" Or, in the form of a question, "You, you, you, you, you, you want to play with me?"

Yesterday, while I was getting him out of car seat he looked at my nose and said, "You, you, you, you, you, have mocos?" ("Mocos" is Mexican slang for boogers.) I laughed hysterically.

It's cute but I'm privately freaked out. Is he going to stutter? My attractive wife doesn't think so but I don't know how much science is in play here. Do any of my seven readers have any opinions?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Informed opinion? No.
Any old opinion? But of course...

Based on your description, he's repeating words, not struggling with them. Sounds like an affectation or something he's just playing with now.

Have you tried teaching him to sing My Generation? That would be hilarious.

CKD said...

I got drunk with some pediatric occupational and physical therapists last weekend so I'm pretty much an expert. No? Oh, OK.

But seriously: I wholeheartedly agree with Mark's advice. Kids play with language and mimic everything they hear like it's their job. He may have heard someone speak this way and is trying it out.