Thursday, December 4, 2008

Tanny

I just finished my first week back at work which means Jack is back at Day Care for full days. I feel like a bad parent. Before Jack could talk, taking him to Day Care didn't seem all that bad; tending to him back then meant he was fed, properly clothed and kept close. Now that he's a small person, I feel bad that he spends all day away from my attractive wife and me. But it's the only way, I'm afraid, as we both need to keep our full time jobs.

We're lucky though because we have an excellent Day Care provider, Tanny, who runs her service out of her house. She chooses to care for only a few children even though her license allows for more. She and her husband never had children of their own so she became a provider fifteen years ago, first as a hobby and now as a passion. The many children she has helped raised over the years are her children as well. And her love for them is readily apparent. When Jack was less than a year old, I was amazed when I picked him up in the afternoons to find him quietly playing and happy. Tanny is a certified Baby Whisperer.

One of the reasons Jack likes going to Tanny's is his playmate, Jay. He's about four months younger than Jack but masses about the same weight (Jay's father is a big man). Jay and Jack love each other's company truly. When I drop him off in the mornings, Jay comes running into Tanny's living room and together they run to and from the next room. When I tell Jack we're going to Tanny's he says, "I'll see Jay!"

Now that Jack and Jay are nearly three, Tanny has introduced arts and crafts into their daily routine. Every other day or so, Jack comes home with some artwork he created using glue, scissors, cardboard paper and decorations. A picture of Jack's Thanksgiving Wreath was featured on a recent post.

1 comment:

CKD said...

That's so great that Jack has such a fantastic place to go each day. You guys are so lucky! We've been fortunate with Evan's provider as well (also a small, home-based place) although some little hussy has been puttin' the moves on him.