Friday, May 1, 2009

Potty Progress!

So my slacker plan to outsource potty training via preschool is showing some results. Over the last week, Jack has asked to go to the potty several times at home. When I do the pick up at preschool, I get a mini-report card of the day's activities which include diaper changes and/or successful potty events. I wildly praise Jack when I read about him going to the potty at preschool.

The first time he did it at home, I raced him to the bathroom, pulled down the pull-ups and boom, he's making a hole in one (#1, that is). More wild praise, which he enjoys. Two nights ago, while outside with the neighbors, I caught Jack developing that far away look that usually heralds a bowel movement. "Jack, do you need to go poopies?" I yell. "No, I don't," he says a couple times. Then, "I need to go." I rushed him inside but had a false alarm. "I was just gassies," he says. Back outside we go. Then he says he has to go again. We rush inside but another false alarm. After his bath we try again but it's #1. Still, not bad.

Tonight, my friend Herschel came over to help me out. I picked up some Asian food (Yan Can Cook) and we all ate and watched Tivo'd espisodes of Star Wars: Clone Wars. For someone who claims he hates kids, Herschel has a fondness for Jack and Jack loves him. Maybe because it's clear, at three and half, that Jack is gonna like SciFi. We three get along famously. Jack shows off his potty skills again. Then I get a phone call from a Toyota dealership I'm courting regarding the availability of a 2009 Sienna. I decide to take the call. Sure enough, Jack announces another potty event. To my complete shock, Herschel says he'll help. As I'm on the phone, I hear a, "Whoa!" from the bathroom followed by a flush. Jack comes rushing into the kitchen announcing, "Daddy, I went poopies!" Wow. We're getting somewhere!

No comments: